Monday, March 17, 2008

Squirrels - A Few Questions Answered



I love squirrels, I think they're funny. I love how resilient they are and the other day I was wondering where they go at night? I mean, I have an idea but was curious to know the actual fact about where they make their beds. For that question and some others, see below:

Why do squirrel have big bushy tails?

A squirrel's tail is used primarily for balance which enables the squirrel to maneuver quickly through the trees without falling. It is also used as a parachute should the squirrel fall, as a blanket in the winter time and to communicate with other squirrels.

How fast can a squirrel run?

There is a story of an Illinois state police officer that once clocked a gray squirrel, with his radar gun at 20 mph, as it was running across a highway. Other research has shown similar speed for gray squirrels.

Do squirrels ever fall?

Yes, squirrels do fall sometimes. They rarely get hurt from short falls because they use their tails as a parachute and usually land on their feet. However, they can sustain severe spinal injuries from an awkward landing.

Can squirrels swim?

Yes. They use a "dog paddle" motion and use their tail as a rudder. However, swimming is very strenuous for a squirrel and is not done unless it is a necessity.

Do squirrels fight?

They play fight when they are young and they will fight for real during mating season. Normally, squirrels are not aggressive, although they will chase or nip at other squirrels that are feeding in their territory.

Where do squirrels sleep?

They sleep in nests which are made of twigs and leaves and the interior is lined with fur, feathers or other soft material for comfort. There are normally two exits in the nest, and they are built high in a tree between two strong branches. They build their nests high enough to provide protection from ground predators, yet not too high or the nest will be destroyed by the winds. Squirrels also will build a nest in a hollowed-out tree cavity.

Where can I find White Squirrels?
There are four towns in the United States that use white squirrels as their claims to fame. These four towns are Olney, IL, Marionville, MO, Brevard, NC, and Kenton, TN. 
For more FAQs, click here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am doing a report on squirrels, and I need lots of infomation!

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for someone that loves squirrels as much as me. I know so much about squirrels and i used to have squirrels as pets. Every time i see one, my friends laugh at me because i say, "squirrel!" Squirrels are so cool!!!