Friday, February 29, 2008

Hybrids - A False Solution?


I was having a "spirited" conversation with a friend last night and ultimately, I think we saw things eye-to-eye, but had different ways of getting there. Anyway, it started by me stating that I believe in the Toyota Prius and plan to trade my Volvo in for one either this year or early next year. Keep in mind, I also believe in taking the bus and made a commitment to take it 2-3 days a week, and I've done well with it even if I have slipped here and there. I also use energy-efficient light bulbs throughout a pretty good sized home, I recycle as much as I can, I don't wash clothes in hot, I turn off the water when I'm brushing my teeth, I try to use towels versus paper towels, I use eco-friendly dish soap and probably numerous other things that I can't think of. I believe that we all can make a difference and that it is our responsibility to make little changes. Anyway, my friend feels that a Prius is being sold as a solution and is basically a crock of shit because of the manufacturing costs, energy used to produce, etc. He believes that we need to recycle old cars instead of creating new one. Does anyone know off the top of their head how to do that, who does that, how much it costs for retro-fitting and the like? Nah, I didn't think so. So should we just wait for someone to provide us a big-picture solution? 


So without boring you with all of the details, I think what I took away from that conversation is appreciation for his point of view, although I find it to be an excuse on his part. See, I think that a lot of people try to ignore the little things that one can do that makes a difference. One person telling 5, that person telling 5 more, etc...that makes a difference. Buying a Prius might not be a solution per se, but if I plan to buy a new car I am at least making a difference. Imagine that multiplied by the millions of them sold. Taxis are using hybrids, vans are going green, on and on. 

Having said all of that, it is not the only answer. The answer, in my opinion, is incenting the everyday person to use reusable materials and more eco-friendly options. For example, many people don't really care that much, and their only incentive is money. If a hybrid costs more, why buy it? And you know what, that's a very valid point. Why aren't those car prices subsidized by the government to make them more appealing to the new car buyer? Well, maybe because our current government doesn't want us to use less gas, wink wink. What if businesses were incentivized to build green, be LEED certified, or maybe they are and I just am not aware of it? One solution cannot be without the other but think of this, if the general public pushes and demands for more eco-friendly products, whether it be dishwashing soap or a car or a house, then businesses should follow because they want money, pure and simple. And if businesses produce these things, people will follow. It's an interdependent relationship. 

The one thing that pisses me off is to hear somebody I care about marginalize issues that I care about. If I care about animals, why do I wear leather, eat meat, etc.? Again, valid question but does it have to be all or nothing? I mean, can you equate a fur coat with a daily staple in your diet or shoes in your wardrobe? Maybe you can, but it's a bit of a leap. If you don't make things into bite-size pieces, people will say, "that's too hard" and do nothing. It's totally true, and people need to feel that making a modification or two does make a difference. I eat less meat, I recycle more than I ever did, I look at labels, I try to educate myself and then others. 

The bottom line: Become the change you want to make. It's not about being perfect, it's about trying to be better. 

No comments: