Saturday, April 12, 2008

HUMMINGBIRDS - FAST FACTS

If you read my post a few days ago, I picked up 4 plants that should attract hummingbirds, and they look just like the pics. Of course, it then made me think about what I actually know about the actual hummingbird, and it's very little. 

Below I have put a few little facts about this speed racer in the air. 

  1. They weigh about 1/10 of an ounce and measure about 4 inches long.
  2. They are able to fly upside down, sideways, up, down, etc. 
  3. Their speed can get up to 60 mph! 
  4. Super long tongues allow them to get the nectar from tubular flowers, going in and out of the flower about 13 times per second. 
  5. Their favorite color is red. 
  6. Sugar concentration of the flowers they prefer is bout 25%.
  7. If you want to use the same concentration in your homemade version, use 1 part of sugar to 4 parts of water, and make sure you boil the water. 

No comments: