Monday, April 28, 2008

LOVE YOURSELF, YES - BUT BE HEALTHY


I just got home from a bike ride, and it was cold and windy - but pretty outside. I was thinking about an article I read while on the bus earlier. It basically said that although exercising for overweight women is helpful in reducing the chance of heart disease, it's still nowhere near as low as it is for women who are not overweight. 

Are you shocked? Probably not right? Well, I'm not so sure people know that because I've seen many shows where women say something to the effect of, "I just want to be healthy, I'm happy with my weight and curves." Check this fact: Compared with normal-weight  active women, the risk for developing heart disease was 54% higher in overweight active women and 87% higher in obese active women. By contrast, it was 88% higher in overweight inactive women and 2 1/2 times greater in obese inactive women. 

From this I gather that it's more about the being overweight than inactive and while you might think that active might mean you would be thinner, that is not always the case. 

Anyway, I'll let you read the rest but I have to say this: Yes, there are people out there who think being fat is unattractive, disgusting, etc. But for every one of those people out there (and I can't say I've never been a jerk about that subject), there are people who truly just love the hell out of someone so much that they want them around as long as they can be.

No comments: