Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Elevator Etiquette

I work in a building with many elevators with tons of opportunities for annoyances - I think most of us do. I had read some elevator etiquette email a while back, and I'm definitely not an elevator-rule-Nazi or whatever. Having said that, some people obviously missed the memo. Let me break this down for you what I think some of the rules should be.

  1. If the button is pushed and lit up, leave it the hell alone.  It doesn't make it come faster, it doesn't show a noble effort to push it again, and nor does it "help".  It makes you look like an idiot.  Now, if you're blind, you get a free pass.  
  2. If the door is closing and you're running for it and put your hand in to open it back up, you've just said to me, "Fuck you and your time because mine is more important." Again, any disabilities (being stupid does not count) trump this rule.
  3. Don't talk to me, don't say you like my shirt (ok, say that), the truth is that you have little that I'm interested in hearing about. Let me say that it doesn't make you a bad person, and it doesn't make you uninteresting, it just means that it's not the right time and place - I'm on a mission and that mission is not to get to know you better.
  4. If you push the wrong floor button and then push another that is before me, you've just said "fuck you" again to me.  You should wait until I get to my floor and then ride the elevator back down to your floor.  Sorry fat-fingers, get more coffee (or less you crack-head!) and a steadier aim.
  5. Pretending to be on your phone, looking at your iPod, whatever - it's obvious that you aren't comfortable with yourself enough to just stand there. Or you have ADD and maybe should get some medication.  Trust me on this. 
Let's recap: Be courteous, quiet, and don't talk to me. If you stop me from getting where I need to go in a timely fashion, I will curse you in my head for many hours to come.  I'm a giver like that. 

Hugs. 


2 comments:

Matt said...

You're killing me. I'm totally drunk right now so that's why I'm commenting on your blog. I wrote that article on wamu.net ha. all about elevator ettiquete via Ask Penny. Bye. I think you're hot.

Anonymous said...

I have a better approach. I wouldn't call it etiquette though, it's more of a bitch approach. I get in and I press the door close button. Since I work on the top floor, having the elevator all for myself ensures a faster ride.

P.S. I'm not drunk and I have no idea if you're hot or not, I didn't see any pictures :D