Friday, January 11, 2008

The Greater Good


One of the best gifts I got this Christmas was from a good friend of mine, Jill. She knows my efforts and how I feel about certain things in the world and she gave me a simple card. Inside the card, it said that on my behalf she bought vaccinations for 10 dogs and 10 cats in need.  That was just the one of the sweetest things ever.  Not only do I believe in it, but I really appreciated that she gave me something that reflects that she not only knows me, but that she cares about me and my wishes.  To give is to receive, a cliche perhaps but true in my eyes. 

Sometimes it's hard to give, and it's hard to open yourself up.  It's difficult to let go of the selfishness, and easy to not want to take that step to give.  I think it's a daunting idea to give, because you feel it's not enough.  If you can't make a huge dent, or make a big change, why give at all - let's be honest, that's how many feel.  But what matters is that we are all connected, we are all branches on the same tree. If one of the branches falls ill, eventually the whole tree could die.  I try my best to operate in that mindset. Here is the website that she bought me that gift, it truly is for the Greater Good.  You can directly contribute to charity by purchasing "Gifts that Give More", or you can buy products from the online retailers they work with.  Or, you can click here to give and the advertising basically pays for the donation - yes, it's free to you!  In 2007, the network gave over $1.7 million to charity. So, check it out - for the greater good.  

No comments: