Monday, January 14, 2008

Rotten Apple?


Rant #1

 
Ok, so a lot of people ask how I like my iPhone. I like it, I don't love it. As a phone, it sucks because you practically have to "text while driving" just to make a call. To me, it's not easy to dial a call at all. A few other things I don't care for are the fact that you can't text more than one person at a time, and you can't even copy and paste the message to send to others. Nor can you forward texts. One more things on texts: no picture texting. I think Apple assumes that we all should have an iPhone or the capability to get their mail on their telephones. What I do love is the iPod, even though many say the storage isn't enough but I don't really feel you need 3,000 songs on your phone. At least you can create a folder on iTunes and move songs from your master library in and out of your iPhone folder, and therefore synch it when you want. The camera is super-basic, and there's no messaging. Much of this is because of Apple's unwillingness to share their code, applications, whatever tech-speak I remember hearing. Hopefully that will change. Now keep in mind, a new iPhone is coming out that will be 3G (faster on the web and stuff like that) but will it be a firmware update (where you just plug your phone into the computer and it downloads the newest version), NO. You'll have to spend $200 more for the device (phone) and probably a good $20 or more for the web services because now it's a BlackBerry. WHAT? Here's an article if you're curious.

Rant #2

My rant on a broader scale. Think about this, you buy an iPod Shuffle for your husband, wife, whomever. They're excited, you're excited, the world is a-glow.  A few months go by and shazaam! A new version. Has this happened to you? I bet it has, because it's happened to me multiple times. It makes me feel violated, it makes me feel used and ultimately stupid for somehow not knowing there was a new version coming out so soon! I bought an iMac a year ago and guess what, that's right, my software is all old now and now I can buy new versions of iLife, the new OS Leopard, etc. It definitely makes me think twice about buying something else from them. In all fairness, I will say that they have made some amazing improvements in how we communicate, entertain ourselves, and their stores are mostly enjoyable to shop in.  I will also cop to the fact that ultimately I am the dumbass who keeps buying the stuff.  Crack is hard to beat man. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apple is betting on die-hard fans who thrive on the hype of the latest and greatest gadgets. I'm with you though, it makes you feel ripped off in a way when three months after you purchase something 'cool' it is yesterday's gizmo. Ultimately, I think the pace will slow down for Apple. Customers will start waiting a while to buy products and sales will slow. Apple is not immune from product canabilization through frequent releases and price changes.

P.S. Very nice job with your new site and the topics you pick.
EC